A History of World War Two – In Political Cartoons
At the beginning of World War II, a great aunt of mine, Miss Ethel Snoddy, began clipping political cartoons from newspapers. She faithfully kept this up for five years, pasting her cartoons into five large photo albums, one for each of the war years 1941 through 1945.
By war’s end, she had compiled nearly 3,500 different examples of political commentary, war news and propaganda, all in editorial cartoon form. The cartoons mainly appeared in the Kansas City Star or the Emporia (Kansas) Gazette but were syndicated from newspapers throughout the nation and several other countries.
Aunt Ethel ultimately gave her unusual albums to my cousin, an educator and history buff. In 1997 he donated them to the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, Kansas.
As a young farm boy growing up near Emporia, I looked at Aunt Ethel’s curious collection various times but had no real appreciation for it. But as an adult, and as a person born during World War II, I developed an enormous admiration for those who struggled and sacrificed during the war years, both those directly engaged in the conflict and those on the home front like my parents and my great aunt Ethel. In 2007, long after Aunt Ethel was gone, I traveled to the Eisenhower Library to revisit the collection and acquire a photocopy of every album page. It is a digital copy of these photocopies that you will view on this website.
In the past year or so, my son Jim became interested in these cartoons and together we built this site. What you see represents many hours of work spanning four generations. Jim and I were motivated by nothing more than a desire to make this unique perspective of World War Two available to history students and teachers, historians, war buffs, or anyone else who wants a richer understanding of this incredible period of time.
This website is a labor of love and a work in progress. For more information about the collection, visit the About The Cartoons page. We invite your comments or questions about Aunt Ethel’s War.
- Cal Alley, Kansas City Journal, Nashville Banner
- Clifford Berryman, Washington Star
- Daniel Bishop, St. Louis Star-Times
- Bill Crawford, Newark Evening News
- Herblock (Herb Block), Washington Post
- Tom Carlisle, Des Moines Register
- Jerry Doyle, Philadelphia Record
- Edmund Duffy, Baltimore Sun
- Dan Fitzpatrick, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Rube Goldberg, New York Sun
- Henderson, Providence Journal
- Cy Hungerford, Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Hugh Hutton, Philadelphia Inquirer
- Cecil Jensen, Chicago Daily News
- Roy Justus, Sioux City Journal
- Rollin Kirby, New York Post, New York Times
- John Knott, Dallas News
- Tom Little, Nashville Tennessean
- David Low, New Zealand and United Kingdom
- Reg Manning, Arizona Republic
- Edwin Marcus, New York Times
- Elmer Messner, Rochester Times Union
- Grover Page, Louisville Courier Journal
- Bernard Partridge, Punch, London
- Lute Pease, Newark Evening News
- Bruce Russell, Los Angeles Times
- Fred Seibel, Richmond Times Dispatch
- Vaughn Shoemaker, Chicago Daily News
- Dorman Smith, Lynchburg News
- Summers, Buffalo News
- C.J. Sweigert, San Francisco Chronicle
- Harold Talburt, New York World Telegram
- Burt Thomas, Detroit News